BRIDGING KNOWLEDGE, CONNECTING PEOPLE
The theme of DIS 2017 is bridging and connecting – across disciplines, practices, places and understandings. The most interesting things happen at edges and boundaries, and so the aim of the 2017 conference is to examine different approaches to framing knowledge about the design of interactive systems. As advancements in interactive technology continue to blur the demarcations between people and data, and between things and software, interaction designers and researchers are finding new ways to explore this evolving, interdisciplinary landscape. At DIS 2017 we shall consider the contrasts and commonalities that are central in shaping the landscape of emerging interaction paradigms. DIS 2017 is hosted by the Centre for Interaction Design, Edinburgh Napier University.
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
ACM SIGCHI Designing Interactive Systems conference 2017
DIS 2017 centres on designerly approaches to creating, deploying and critically reflecting on interactive systems. It is an interdisciplinary conference that encompasses how such systems are built, introduced and employed in a wide variety of socio-cultural contexts. We welcome a broad engagement with the field by inviting submissions that consider the following, from a diverse range of researchers and practitioners within the field of interactive systems design:
- Design Methods and Processes: Methods, tools, and techniques for engaging people; researching, designing, and co-designing interactive systems; participatory design, design artefacts, research through design; documenting and reflecting on design processes etc.
- Experience: Places, temporality, people, communities, events, phenomena, aesthetics, user experience, usability, engagement, empowerment, wellbeing, designing things that matter, diversity, participation, materiality, making, etc.
- Application Domains: Health, ICT4D, children-computer interaction, sustainability, games/entertainment computing, digital arts, etc.
- Technological Innovation (systems, tools, and/or artifact designs): Sensors and actuators, mobile devices, multi touch and touchless interaction, social media, personal, community, public displays etc.
We welcome and encourage theoretical contributions to DIS 2017. Rather than its own subcommittee, please consider submitting theory contributions to any of the above four subcommittees.
Papers and Notes accepted for presentation at DIS 2017 are published by the ACM in the Digital Library and have in the past attracted high impact, visibility and citations.
- January 9, 2017: Papers, Notes, Pictorials notice of intent due
- January 16, 2017: Papers, Notes, Pictorials full submission due
- January 16, 2017: Workshop proposals due
- March 13, 2017: Papers, Notes, Pictorials, Workshop proposals author notifications
- March 20, 2017: Provocations & Works-in-Progress, Demos, Doctoral Consortium & Student Volunteer applications due
- April 3, 2017: Provocations & Works-in-Progress, Demos, Doctoral Consortium author notifications
- June 10-11, 2017: Workshops and Doctoral Consortium
- June 12-14, 2017: Conference